Retrocom's goal is to enhance long-term Unitholder value by: i) increasing occupancy through active asset management; ii) enhancing the value of its properties through redevelopment, revitalization and marketing; iii) growing the asset base through an accretive acquisition program; and iv) pursuing on an opportunistic basis, select development projects.
On July 8, 2008, the REIT closed a significant transaction which included the acquisition of four properties from a vendor group led by Mitchell Goldhar (the “Vendor”). The Vendor is the owner of SmartCentres Inc., Canada's leading developer of unenclosed shopping centres. As a result of the Vendor becoming a strategic investor, we believe the synergies offered further the REIT’s growth and value creation initiatives.
With the collaboration of the SmartCentres development and leasing teams, and the REIT develops, and revises as necessary, strategies to achieve our goal as follows:
- Obtaining financing to ensure funds are available to execute on leasing and redevelopment initiatives and to reduce the cost of debt;
- Developing and executing a comprehensive redevelopment plan for certain properties including adding rentable space where opportunities permit;
- Growing the portfolio through strategic accretive acquisitions;
- Focused leasing efforts to increase rental, occupancy rates, lengthen lease maturities adn strengthen the overall tenant base;
- Reviewing our marketing strategy with a view to improving the overall shopping experience at our properties, which we believe will lead to increased traffic and tenant sales;
- Controlling operating costs; and
- Improving the appearance and maintaining the physical structure of our properties.